Health & Wellness
Canton Leisure Services Health and Wellness program offers a well-rounded approach to healthy living, offering fitness classes, personal training services, and nutrition services.
Explore our activity classes, educational classes, and special events, and enjoy the benefits of taking an interest in your health! Following a regular fitness program gives you a sense of commitment and control - two positive mental attitudes that help counteract stress.
- Group Fitness Classes
- Registered Fitness Classes
- Registered Wellness Classes
- Outdoor Fitness
- Special Events
- Personal Training Services
Group Fitness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers over 50 fitness classes each week to Summit members and drop-in guests. These classes which vary from low-impact aerobics and yoga, to intense step and kettlebell classes are all included in the membership or daily visit fee. Group fitness is a great opportunity to try out a variety of classes and add variety to your fitness program.
Land Fitness Classes:Participants are encouraged to wear appropriate workout attire and bring a water bottle to each class. Equipment is provided for each class. For classes that involve floor work, mats will be provided or you may bring your own. The Land Fitness Schedule will indicate which room the class is taking place in.
Aquatic Fitness Classes:Aqua fitness is excellent for individuals seeking a total body workout, without as much impact on their knees. Classes range from low impact to high intensity. Participants should wear swim attire and bring a water bottle to each class; aqua shoes are also recommended to improve traction on the bottom of the pool. Equipment is provided for each class.
Leisure Services Administration to request a Land or Aquatic Fitness Class schedule to be mailed to you.
- New class participants are encouraged to speak with instructors prior to the start of class to get format tips and modifications on various moves.
- Schedules are subject to change based on facility need, instructor availability, and participation levels.
- Classes must maintain an average of 8 participants for the class to remain on upcoming schedules.
- Inclement Weather Policy: If Plymouth-Canton Community Schools cancel class due to inclement weather, then all classes taking place at the Summit on the Park will be cancelled prior to 4 p.m. For evening classes, a decision will be made by 2 p.m. Schedule changes will be posted on www.summitonthepark.org and throughout the facility.
Registered Fitness and Wellness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of registered classes that allow for smaller class size, progressive class format, and specialized routines. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced levels are indicated in the descriptions for each class. These classes are open to the public for registration and membership to the Summit on the Park is not required; however, members do receive a registration discount. All classes are listed in the Discover Brochure.
Types of Registered Classes
- Runner's Meet Up (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Zumba Step (All levels)
- Melt (All levels)
- Teen Cycle (Ages 14-17)
Strength & ToningYoga
- Gentle Yoga (Beginner, Senior)
- Beginner Yoga (Beginner)
- Intermediate Yoga (Intermediate)
- Prenatal Yoga (All levels)
- Cardio Cycle and Strength (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Runner's Meet Up (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Liberty Run 5K (All levels): 3rd Saturday in June during Liberty Fest
- Prenatal/Postpartum Yoga (All levels)
Registered Wellness Classes
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of one-time and session based wellness classes designed to help improve health, reduce stress, and increase quality of life. Classes throughout the year may include:
- Better Nutrition Better Health
- Tai Chi: Multiple classes offered each season
- Wellness Coaching: Schedule determined by participant with the Wellness Coach
- Yoga: Multiple classes offered each season
Feel better in 6 weeks as you make healthy lifestyle changes! Learn easy techniques that will help you make better food choices, control cravings, and make healthier food portions. Learn what foods will help boost your energy as you put together your own meal plan.
Outdoor Fitness Opportunities
Just Get Outdoors & Go... Walking!
Looking for a way to incorporate exercise into your busy schedule? Why not check out one of these scenic and motivational walking paths and jogging areas in Canton. Find an accessible walking path in your neighborhood and get outdoors. Walking is an easy, inexpensive way to help lower your risk of heart disease and stroke, reduce the effects of stress, and lose weight.
3rd Annual Indoor Triathlon
The Summit on the Park Health & Wellness team looks forward to hosting the 3rd Annual Indoor Triathlon. This annual event, provides competitive and recreational fitness participants an opportunity to test their endurance in three events. Participants will compete in a 10-minute swim, 30-minute bike, and a 20-minute run with 10-minute transition times between each event. Participant scoring and placement will be determined by the total distance covered in each discipline, with awards given to the overall top male and female finishers and top finisher with each group.
- Sunday March 18, 2018
- Ages: 14 and up
Liberty Run 5K and 10K
We will be starting off summer with a bang at this year's Liberty Run 5K and 10K walk/run events. The Liberty Run is for all ability levels and is a great family event. All runners, walkers and strollers will start off in Heritage Park and wind their way through local neighborhoods and along the beautiful Lower Rouge Recreation Trail.
- 3rd Saturday in June during Liberty Fest
- Ages: All
- Canton Liberty Run Information
Personal Training Services
The Summit on the Park offers a variety of Personal Training Services to meet the needs of all individuals and groups. Certified Personal Trainers and Wellness Coaches are available throughout the day to provide tips on improving your overall health, strength, nutrition, and training programs. Services available include:
- Personal Training
- Group Personal Training
- Fitness Evaluation
- Weight Loss Consultation
- Sports Nutrition
- Wellness Coaching
Discover Brochure: all Canton Leisure Services programs, classes, events and services are included in the bi-annual Discover program brochure. Offerings are available for all ages and interests.
Registration: program registration is available online and at the Summit on the Park front desk.
Please take a moment to look through the Health and Wellness section of the Discover Brochure to find the right classes for you.
- Online registration for registered fitness classes and other Leisure Services programs.