Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage
Celebrate the 8th Annual Canton Acts of Culture Week
Embrace Arts and Culture during this special celebration from May 12-19, 2018
Click here for the complete 2018 Calendar of Events or look below for the At A Glance overview.
Each year during May, the Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage hosts, "Acts of Culture Week" to raise awareness and showcase unique facets of the arts. Community organizations and area businesses are encouraged to participate in the week-long celebration throughout Canton to showcase our cultural resources and partnerships, celebrate our diverse cultures, and promote local arts. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Come experience the vast talent that our community has to offer!
Featured events, include:
- Canton Public Library Storytimes
- D and M Art Studio's Painting Class
- Canton Concert Band's Spring Concert
- Spotlight Players production of "Heaven Help Me"
- Plymouth Community Arts Council Art Workshops & Fine Art Exhibit
- Acts of Fashion Show Village Theater at Cherry Hill
- Tim Kubart, Grammy Award Winner for 2016 Best Children's Album, special engagement
- 4th Wall Theatre Company's Inclusive Workshop
- Summit on the Park Spring Art Show
For additional information on this Canton Community celebration, please call 734/394-5360 or by email.
The Commission for Culture, Arts, and Heritage serves as advocates in promoting public awareness of culture, arts, and heritage in the greater Canton community. This commission's members are a very dedicated group of volunteers who are striving to encourage high quality programs for the culture, arts, and heritage that are accessible to all. Programs include, but are not limited to, visual arts, drama, music, dance, historical heritage, and humanities.
Through the implementation of its Strategic Plan, adopted in 2004, this commission has established numerous active sub-committees to sponsor various community projects, which embrace all aspects of culture, arts, and heritage. Canton has a rich history that we are careful to preserve and obligated to honor. In Canton, we look to where we came from to help shape the community we know today, and to guide our growing community into the future.
For more information, please email the Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage.
- Held quarterly at 7 pm
- Administration Building, lower level
- Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage Meeting Schedule (PDF)
- Ken Bhuva - Chair
- Darian Moore - 1st Vice Chair
- Bill Tesen - Immediate Past Chair (Historical Society rep)
- Samar Sakakini (Partnership for the Arts & Humanities rep)
- Sommer Foster (Township Board rep)
- Thomas Paden (Canton Chamber of Commerce rep)
- Yvonne Alford
- Anthony Davis
- Sharon Dillenbeck
- Sue Dodson
- Kira Macyda
- John Mullinax
- Nikita Pandya
- Susan Schwandt
- Elena Semenov
Canton Township Staff
2018 International Fest: Commission for Arts, Culture & Heritage
Each year during Canton's Annual Liberty Fest, performers and groups take the stage to showcase the many cultures of the Canton area. The festival takes place the Saturday prior to Father's Day in June.
As part of Canton's International Festival celebration, guests are invited to enter a drawing for a gift basket generously donated by members of Canton's Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage.
Join us for an opportunity to travel the globe through song and dance from around the world when International Festival performers will appear on the Canton LIVE! Stage on Saturday, June 16, 2018, from 11:30 am to 6 pm. Bring the whole family!