Public Works

Below are our most commonly requested documents:
How Do I Report a Water Main Break?
During normal business hours, Monday - Friday from 7:30 am - 3:30 pm, you may call Canton's Division of Public Works at 734/397-1011 or Engineering Services at 734/394-5150. If the break happens after hours or during a holiday please call Canton Public Safety at 734/394-5400. Residents are asked to call DTE at 800/477-4747 for new service, power outages, and for gas leaks.


Canton's Public Works Division falls under the Municipal Services Department (MSD). Public Works is broken into six sections: Fleet Maintenance, Water, Sanitary Sewer, Environmental and Customer Service, and Asset Management. These six sections are responsible for the operation and maintenance of the water supply and sewage collection systems.

Primary duties include:
  • Commercial water meter reading, installation, repairs, and testing
  • Control water pressure and flows
  • Cut and cap illegal sewer lead connections
  • Hosting River Day, E-waste Collections, and Hazardous Household Waste Round-up
  • Hydrant flushing
  • Maintenance of the township public sewage collection system
  • Maintenance on the township public water distribution system
  • Monitoring of detention / retention ponds
  • Sewer collection system repairs
  • Sod and seeding restoration work
  • Street sweeping to reduce storm water pollutants
  • Water main repairs
  • Water service installations

Water Quality Reports
Most Recent Report | View All Reports

Hotlines for Illicit Discharges & Spills
  • Wayne County: 888/223-2363
  • Michigan Department of Environmental Quality PEAS Hotline: 800/292-4706