Canton's Public Works Division falls under the Municipal Services Department or MSD. Public Works is broken into six sections; Fleet Maintenance, Water, Sanitary Sewer, Environmental and Customer Service and Asset Management.
All are located in the Division of Public Works Building, located at 4847 Sheldon Road just South of Michigan Avenue and can be reached between the hours of 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at 734/397-1011.
These six sections are responsible for the operation and maintenance of the water supply, stormwater, and sewage collection systems.
Primary duties include:
- Commercial water meter reading, installation, repairs, and testing.
- Maintenance on the township public water distribution system
- Water service installations
- Water main repairs
- Hydrant flushing
- Control water pressure and flows
- Sod and seeding restoration work
Hotline for Illicit Discharges and Spills
Wayne County: 1-888-223-2363
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality PEAS Hotline: 1-800-292-4706
- Street sweeping to reduce stormwater pollutants
- Monitoring of detention/retention ponds
- Storm sewer cleaning
- Sewer collection system repairs
- Cut and cap illegal sewer lead connections
- Maintenance of the township public sewage collection system
- Hosting River Day, E-waste Collections and Hazardous Household Waste Round-up
How Do I Report a Water Main Break?
During normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm) you may call Canton's Division of Public Works at 734/397-1011 or Engineering Services at 734/394-5150.
If the break happens after hours or during a holiday please call Canton Public Safety at 734/394-5400.
Residents are asked to call DTE at 800/477-4747 for new service and power outages.
Please call DTE at 800/947-5000 for gas leaks.