Canton Road Improvement Program
Canton Township is excited to begin the first year of repairs to the roads in our community using the funding from the approved Road Millage. The intent of the Canton Road Improvement Program is to provide flexibility year-to-year to match revenues from the millage to the prioritize projects. View a list of all 2019 Canton Road projects here Opens a New Window. .
2019 PRIMARY ROAD PROJECTS
JULY 12 UPDATE: The roads below are currently under construction. Please drive safely through the construction area and follow all posed detours:
- Canton Center Road (north of Gerald Court to Cherry Hill Road): One lane of traffic in each direction (NB & SB) will be maintained on Canton Center while the three middle lanes are being worked on. NB left turns to WB Cherry Hill will NOT be permitted.
- Saltz Road (Sheldon to Lilley): One-way traffic will be maintained going WB. The EB lane will be closed and worked on. Pouring concrete into next week and then about a week cure time to follow.
- Hanford Road (Morton Taylor to Lilley): One-way traffic will be maintained going EB. The WB lane will be closed and worked on. Anticipated to be fully open by Tuesday, July 16.
- Hanford Road (Sheldon to Morton Taylor): One-way traffic will be maintained going EB. The WB lane will be closed and worked on. Construction anticipated to start on Tuesday, July 16.
- Morton Taylor Road (Warren to Ryegate): FULL CLOSURE. Detour route will include Joy Road, Lilley Road, Warren Road and Sheldon Road. Project anticipated to be completed by Tuesday, July 16.
- Morton Taylor Road (Arlington to Candlewood): FULL CLOSURE. Detour route will include Joy Road, Lilley Road, Warren Road and Sheldon Road. Pavement Repairs will begin Tuesday, July 16 followed by asphalt resurfacing. Project is anticipated to be completed in four weeks.
- Lotz Road (Wildwood to Burlington, between Palmer and Cherry Hill): FULL CLOSURE. Detour route will include Palmer, Haggerty, John Hix and Cherry Hill. Access to Wildwood Lane will be maintained at all times using part width construction methods at the intersection. Access points to Lotz from Finley Drive and Burlington Drive will be fully closed. Half the road is complete and now moving to the other side.
Note that the FULL CLOSURES above still allow access to local traffic (those who live there or commercial businesses). Please call Engineering Services at 734/394-5150 if you have questions regarding access through the full closure routes for emergency services. It is our understanding that the contractor will doing the road half at a time within the closure.
In addition, Canton will also do preventative maintenance asphalt crack sealing at the following locations; Cherry Hill Road from Beck and Canton Center Roads; Warren Road from Morton Taylor and Lilley Roads; Palmer Road from Canton Center to Lilley Roads; and Beck Road from Cherry Hill to Ford Roads.
Canton will coordinate other planned construction project activities, such as watermain replacements, sanitary sewer repairs and sidewalk repairs with the work along the major roads to minimize disruption to the residents and efficiently complete all the work each year.
Any required improvements to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements will be incorporated into these projects as required by law. The program on major roads will also include the completion of any pedestrian sidewalk gaps or pathways along the major roads being improved.
Wayne County has formally committed to not reduce any future reconstruction projects, nor reduce any maintenance and repair activities currently being performed on the major County road network as a result of the investment by Canton in these supplemental projects.
2019 Local County Subdivision Roads
This year, unmatched work on local subdivision roads will be done north of Ford Road and will address catch basin and drainage fixes as well as asphalt crack and concrete joint sealing. Detailed information on work being done in 2019 can be found by visiting the links below. Unmatched work will continue in 2020 in subdivisions south of Ford Road.
- 2019 Overall Location Map of Unmatched Work Opens a New Window.
- 2019 Detailed Location Map of Unmatched Work Opens a New Window.
Matched work will not begin until 2020, however Canton is now soliciting project ideas from Homeowner Associations and other interested resident groups to participate in next year's program. Learn more about the local match program and download the application Opens a New Window. . All Applications submitted will be considered for 2020 and beyond.
2019 State Roads
The Ford Road Boulevard project is also moving forward. MDOT will award the contract to for the Design Consultant in March. Once the design is complete, right-of-way acquisition will begin and construction is anticipated to start in 2022 or 2023.
What about the potholes?
Funds generated from the road millage will not be going toward routine County or State maintenance activities (i.e. the filling of potholes, snowplowing, etc.). That work will continue to be done by Wayne County. The millage funds will be used for very specific capital projects, the tentative list of which for 2019 can be seen here.
Additionally, the millage increase will appear on December tax bills, which means funds will not be available until January at the earliest. Residents can expect some projects to begin in the spring of 2019.
Calculate Your Estimated Additional Cost
To determine your estimated additional cost of this Road Millage, multiply your home's taxable value by .00145.
Enter your home's taxable value: $