Clerk's Office

The Township Clerk plays a critical role in the operation and administration of township government. Michigan law requires the Township Clerk to carry out three major responsibilities involving record-keeping, financial operations, and elections. The Clerk is a member of the Township Board of Trustees, voting on questions of budget, personnel appointments, zoning, and other matters. The Clerk also acts as Secretary to the Township Board, posting legal notices and subscribing the minutes. The Clerk chairs the Board of Election Commissioner for the township and acts as Secretary to the Board of Ethics. In addition to the statutory duties described above, the Clerk also issues licenses. The Deputy Clerk acts as FOIA Coordinator, as the Board of Trustees reviews all Freedom of Information Act appeals. 

The Clerk’s office connects people to their government


Provide meaningful service and evolve to meet the changing needs of our community


Open interaction in a welcoming manor so everyone feels respected


Cooperatively leverage our individual differences to achieve a common goal

The Clerk's Office is committed to maintaining the integrity of government in Canton Township and ensuring an informed citizenry by providing transparent access to township government through open and accessible meetings and accurate recording of township board proceedings; by protecting and preserving public documents and records; through the conduct of fair and democratic elections; and by providing excellent service to the public. 

Notary Service
Notary services are available at a cost of $5 per transaction. Multiple page documents - please call the Clerk's Office for an appointment.


For ordinance complaints: 734/394-5400
For ordinance questions: 734/394-5335


  1. Dog License
  2. Bicycle License
  3. Solicitor & Peddler License

Dog License

Dog Licensing/ Dog Park Application (PDF) 
Dog Park Waiver Form (PDF) 
Dog Park Rules (PDF) 
Animal Fancier Permit Application (PDF)

Please Note: In order to license a dog, a valid and current certificate of vaccination for Rabies and Distemper must be provided and signed by an accredited veterinarian.

  1. Used Car Dealer
  2. Junk Dealer
  3. Kennel License
  4. Liquor License
  5. MAD License
  1. Consumer Fireworks Application
  2. Massage License
  3. Service Station License
  4. Sexually Oriented Business
  5. Smoking Establishment License
  6. Teen Club License
  7. Going Out of Business License

Consumer Fireworks Application