The Summit on the Park Fitness Center, Canton’s premier fitness and recreation destination since 1996, is now open to members after closing for over six months due to the global pandemic.
All members will once again have access to strength and fitness equipment, the indoor walking track, and indoor fitness classes that will all adhere to the Governor’s latest Executive Order. The majority of workout equipment has been spaced accordingly to allow for 10 feet of distancing between stations in both the Fitness Center, as well as the Aerobics Studio. In addition, Selectorized weight equipment will be located at the west end of the Gymnasium. The walking track’s middle lane will also be closed to all for socially distanced indoor walking. The Aquatic Center will remain closed for significant capital improvement projects, including replacement of the copper roof and major tile installation. Although a specific reopening date of the Aquatic Center has not been identified at this time, the Summit anticipates that it will be available for use in early 2021.
“Safety is our number one priority and that’s why our staff is continually evaluating how best to implement various safety measures in accordance with state and local guidelines as we move forward,” said Summit on the Park Supervisor Jason Lombardo. “We know how much our members value exercise for both physical and mental wellbeing, so we are thrilled to be able to open our doors and provide them with a fitness resource.”
State of Michigan regulations will allow for the Summit on the Park to reopen with areas limited to 25% of total occupancy. Members will be able to view usage numbers, which will be taken hourly, online at www.summitonthepark.org, or via twitter at www.twitter.com/summitcanton. Areas that will remain closed until it is deemed safe to reopen, include: Canton Club 55+ Senior Center; Kids’ Corner childcare center; sauna and steam room; open gym times; and the racquetball court.
The Summit on the Park will be open with modified business hours Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- As part of the Summit on the Park re-opening guidelines, the following protocols have been put in place:
- All visitors and staff entering the recreation center are required to wear a mask at all times.
- Entry into the facility will only be allowed through the Main Entrance.
- All visitors must check-in and check-out at the Summit front desk. Members are encouraged to use the Summit Mobile App to scan in and scan out at each visit.
- All members are required to wipe down equipment regularly before and after each use. Sanitation stations will be provided in several areas throughout the facility.
- Fitness equipment stations will have short-term closures for cleaning and disinfecting throughout the day.
- Members must respect six feet of distance between other guests outside their party.
- All indoor fitness classes will have a limit of 10 participants at this time.
- Locker rooms will not be available for changing or showering at this time. Patrons are encouraged to arrive wearing their workout attire.
- Patrons are asked to minimize the number of belongings that they bring into the facility; however, individual cell phone storage lockers will be available for use to hold wallets, keys, and phones.
- No water fountains will be available; however, a water bottle refill station will remain open. Guests are encouraged to bring a water bottle.
All Summit on the Park memberships, which have been frozen since the facility’s closure due to the global health crisis, will be re-activated and extended accordingly once a member first returns to the Summit. Memberships will remain frozen for those members who do not feel comfortable returning to the facility at this time.
The Summit on the Park, located at 46000 Summit Parkway, remains a popular fitness and recreation destination for residents from Canton and surrounding areas. The Summit currently offers daily, six month and annual memberships. To learn more about Summit on the Park memberships and safety protocols, please visit www.summitonthepark.org or call 734/394-5460.