Area residents are encouraged to join Canon’s newest health and wellness initiative, Live Well Canton 2020, which will bring residents monthly wellness themes throughout the year aimed to introduce or reacquaint them with important community resources, facilities, and programs, all with a focus on good health.
January’s goal is to begin to address the more sedentary lifestyle that so many American’s often fall into, especially during Michigan’s darker, colder months. Studies show that 34% of adults and nearly 20% of children in the U.S. are considered obese. Obesity often contributes to chronic and acute illnesses like Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Cancer, Stroke, and Heart Attack. Staying active for even 20-minutes a day, and working to maintain a healthy weight can help combat these risks.
So with an end goal of helping all of our residents, family, and friends, live longer, more active lives, Canton Leisure Services will bring you a year filled with mini-fitness challenges, opportunities to walk and swim at the Summit on the Park, educational programs, winter walking & hiking tips, healthy recipe-sharing, and much more!
2020 Featured Topics:
- January: Maintaining a healthy weight & goal-setting
- February: Heart Health: Active vs. Sedentary Lifestyles
- March: Eating for Wellness
- April: Environmental Health
- May: Mental Health Awareness Month/Self-Care/Arts for Stress Relief
- June: Love Your Parks Month
- July: Safe Fun in the Sun
- August: Substance Abuse Awareness and Smoking Cessation
- September: Healthy Kids/Healthy Future
- October: Domestic Violence Awareness
- November: Financial Health & Well Being
- December: Winter Wellness
Find all activities online at www.canton-mi.org/1270, or call the Summit front desk at 734/394-5460.